Monday, February 11, 2013

Sabu Toyozumi, Kosai Yujyo

It's a Monday morning here where I sit in real time, and I don't think it makes sense to launch on a windy diatribe about how to listen to "new music," except the obvious and very brief admonitions: "Have patience!" And "Repeat the experience as many times as you can!" That's true too of computers, when virus software starts going off the deep end, scanning and rescanning anally to no point other than insanity, as it has done just now, freezing me out mid-phrase. Hey, software, I pay YOU, and I'm telling you to let up.

The "patience" factor I found very critical in listening to and evaluating Sabu Toyozumi's densely, long formed 2-CD set Kosai Yujyo (Improvised Beings 14). Sabu is on drums and erhu. He is joined by no less than 16 musicians, but not all at once for the most part.

It's very free music that unfolds over a long period of time, and it has a Zen sort of "suchness" that doesn't get through to you right away. At least it didn't to me. There are long sections where an idea is worked out. The idea makes sense in terms of what follows and you understand where it all arches only after you experience the whole thing a number of times.

Then you do. This has great free drumming and some beautiful earfuls of free sound sculpting. There is a "frog-in-pond-on lilly-pad. Plop." thing going on in a way. The "plop" at first is just a "plop." Then it's more than that. So it's not bebop. It's plop.

Am I making myself understood? No? Well this is something to get inside of over a long time. Then the plop becomes art. Plop art.

OK? It's good. Excellent. Excellent plop.

No comments:

Post a Comment